French Open

Go down

French Open

Post  junkman on Sat May 29, 2010 5:15 am

Paris, France (Sports Network) - Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic were all straight-set winners Friday at the 2010 French Open.

Federer, the top seed and defending champion, made short work of Germany's Julian Reister, 6-4, 6-0, 6-4 in a third-round match on the famed red clay. He won the second set in a mere 18 minutes.

"With my own form, I'm very happy," Federer said. "I'm ready to mix up my game playing aggressive. I'm not sure today if I had to face break points. I'm getting very few breaks, and that's obviously always a good thing looking ahead."

Nadal and Djokovic were second-round winners Friday, as rain on Thursday pushed the schedule back. Nadal, seeded second and a four-time champ at Roland Garros, rolled to a 6-2, 6-2, 6-3 victory over Horacio Zeballos of Argentina, while the third-seeded Djokovic cruised to a 6-1, 6-4, 6-4 triumph over Japan's Kei Nishikori.

"Today, I'm happy for the victory. Never easy," Nadal said. "He's a good player. He's a young player, and he's coming well. So it's a good win for me, and I'm happy for that. But I hope to keep improving."

Additionally, fourth-seeded Andy Murray needed four sets to oust 25th-seeded Cyprus native Marcos Baghdatis 6-2, 6-3, 0-6, 6-2. Murray, still in search of his first Grand Slam title, beat Baghdatis for the first time in his career in three tries.

Murray, who will next face 15th-seeded Czech Tomas Berdych in the fourth round, advanced to the quarterfinals here last year before losing to Fernando Gonzalez, who, as the 12th seed in 2010, was surprisingly ousted by Oleksandr Dolgopolov Jr of Ukraine, 6-3, 6-4, 6-3, in a second round matchup. Berdych, meanwhile, steamrolled 17th-seeded American John Isner 6-2, 6-2, 6-1.

Fifth-seeded Robin Soderling, last year's runner-up, was a 6-4, 7-5, 2-6, 6-3 winner over 29th-seeded Albert Montanes to move to the fourth round. Soderling, who is the only player ever to defeat Nadal at Roland Garros, will next battle 10th-seeded Croat Marin Cilic, who defeated Leonardo Mayer, 6-4, 3-6, 7-5, 6-7 (5-7), 6-4.

Eighth-seeded Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, the lone Frenchman remaining in the tournament, earned a 6-7 (6-Cool, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3, 6-4 win over Thiemo De Bakker to push through to the fourth round. This year's French Open marks the first time since 1995 that only one France native has reached as far as the third round after 19 entered the tournament.

Also advancing to the fourth round was 20th-seeded Stanislas Wawrinka, who breezed past Italian Fabio Fognini 6-3, 6-4, 6-1. Wawrinka will now face countryman Federer, whom he has beaten only once in five matchups.

"(Wawrinka's) really fit, and we have the same physical trainer," Federer said of his next opponent. "We know what we do. We've practiced quite often together. We know it's going to be a tough match, so I'm very happy about this possible challenge because he's a great player. I'll have to play great tennis, also."

The final third-round matchup on Friday featured 11th-seeded Mikhail Youzhny, who was leading Viktor Troicki 2-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-2, 3-1 when play was halted.

A total of 14 second-round matches needed to be completed on Friday after Thursday's weather issues, and seventh-seeded Fernando Verdasco and former French Open champion and 16th seed Juan Carlos Ferrero were among those who advanced to the third round on Friday.

Verdasco, whose best finish here has been the fourth round, got past Frenchman Florent Serra 6-2, 6-2, 0-6, 6-4, while Ferrero beat fellow Spaniard Pere Riba 7-6 (7-5), 6-7 (13-15), 6-2, 6-2. Ferrero titled at Roland Garros in 2003 but has not been past the third round since.

The 26-year-old Verdasco will next play 30th-seeded German Philipp Kohlschreiber, who notched a straight-set win over Andreas Seppi 7-6 (7-5), 6-3, 7-5. Ferrero will face American Robby Ginepri, who ousted Italian Potito Starace 3-6, 6-4, 6-3, 6-3.

Also advancing to the third round on Friday were Spaniards David Ferrer and Nicolas Almagro, former Grand Slam champ Lleyton Hewitt of Australia, Croatian Ivan Ljubicic, Brazilian Thomaz Bellucci, Austria's Jurgen Melzer and Romanian Victor Hanescu.

The ninth-seeded Ferrer advanced when Belgium's Xavier Malisse retired in the third set. Ferrer had won the first two sets by identical 6-2 scores and held a 2-0 edge in the third when Malisse called it quits. Next up for Ferrer is Melzer, who needed four sets to dispose of France's Nicolas Mahut, 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (9-7), 6-4.

Hewitt went five sets against Uzbekistan's Denis Istomin, finally prevailing with a 1-6, 6-3, 6-4, 2-6, 6-2 triumph. For his efforts, the former U.S. Open and Wimbledon champ will face Nadal in round three.

Nadal eliminated Hewitt in the third round last year at Roland Garros and also knocked out the Australian in the fourth round in 2006 and 2007. He owns a 5-4 record against Hewitt. The Spanish superstar is unbeaten in 17 matches on clay this year and is bidding for his fourth title on the slow surface in 2010, having already won at Monte Carlo, Rome and Madrid.

The 14th-seeded Ljubicic edged American Mardy Fish in a five-set thriller 6-2, 6-7 (8-10), 4-6, 6-2, 10-8, while Bellucci, the 24th seed, beat Spaniard Pablo Andujar in another five-set match 1-6, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4, 6-2. Almagro, seeded 19th, blew past Belgium's Steve Darcis, 6-3, 6-0, 7-5, and will next meet Dolgopolov in the third round, and Hanescu topped Yuri Schukin in straight sets 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 to set up a third-round match with Djokovic.
junkman
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: French Open

Post  Hoganknows on Sat May 29, 2010 7:52 am

Love those new tennis outfits cheers
Hoganknows

View user profile

Back to top Go down